When you learn my final EpiPen experiment submit, then you definately noticed my discovery that EpiPens heated on the dashboard of a automobile will hearth lower than half the time. Temperatures within the 180s and 190s Fahrenheit are clearly sufficient to wreck an EpiPen. However will the warmth contained in the glove field additionally harm an EpiPen?
It’s spectacular that excessive warmth compromises EpiPen system integrity. It’s additionally vital to know. However more often than not when individuals depart their epinephrine within the automobile, they don’t depart it on the dashboard, in full solar, and dealing with south. It’s both by chance, or as a result of they retailer it there.
When somebody shops an EpiPen within the warmth of a automobile, they’ll sometimes depart it within the glove field or one other compartment. When individuals depart their EpiPens in a scorching automobile by chance, they often have it in a handbag or bag of some type. In these conditions, the EpiPens would nonetheless get highly regarded, however wouldn’t attain the 195 levels I achieved on the dashboard. So I additionally did an experiment to see if EpiPens would jam when left within the automobile below extra regular consumer circumstances.
Experiment 2: Glove Field Warmth impact on an EpiPen
Concurrently my dashboard warmth experiment, I had 20 extra EpiPens in my automobile. These had been in my glove field. The very best temperature I recorded in my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
I adopted the identical protocols with these EpiPens. I had 10 matched pairs to regulate for consumer harm previous to them reaching me. One from every pair, I fired whereas nonetheless scorching from the automobile. The opposite, I fired after permitting it to return to room temperature.
The outcomes of this experiment weren’t fairly as spectacular. Each EpiPen uncovered to warmth in my glove field fired usually. I don’t know the place the break level of an EpiPen is, however I’ve narrowed it right down to someplace between 137 and 195 levels Fahrenheit.
To be sincere, I sort of want a number of the glove field EpiPens had jammed. For one, it wasn’t a really thrilling video, nor did it show the hazard of leaving epinephrine within the warmth. However for 2, I fear that it could trigger a false sense of safety for some individuals.
There are nonetheless individuals who depart EpiPens of their automobile on objective. Normally, that is on the premise that they’re usually close to their automobile, in order that they suppose maintaining it within the automobile is a option to all the time have it out there.
Sadly, this can be a very dangerous follow, and never simply because the EpiPen itself can jam below the best circumstances. Quite a few research have demonstrated that the drug epinephrine rapidly loses its efficacy when uncovered to warmth. And this occurs at temperatures which might be a lot decrease than recorded on my dashboard. One current research confirmed that leaving an EpiPen within the automobile as soon as can scale back the efficient dose of the drug inside, by as a lot as 13-14%!
Simply as you don’t need your EpiPen to misfire while you want it, you additionally need to be sure to get a full dose of treatment should you go into anaphylaxis. Due to this fact, it is rather vital to just be sure you defend your EpiPens from warmth. Chilly shouldn’t be as damaging, however warmth very clearly damages EpiPens, and in additional methods than one. Hold these Epis cool, of us!
You possibly can watch the video of me firing these EpiPens on YouTube right here.
For these of you who like numbers and specifics, listed here are the main points of my experiment.
- My automobile is darkish blue. I parked it dealing with south in full solar.
- Exterior highs had been within the 80s most days.
- 20 Pens had been on the sprint, straight in full daylight (the cookie sheet was so they might all match on my sloped sprint.)
- 20 Pens had been within the glove field, which didn’t get fairly as scorching, however higher displays the habits of parents who retailer Epis within the automobile.
- I cooked the Pens in my automobile every day for
two weeksEnded up being 6 weeks.
- My automobile retreated to the storage in a single day.
- For half of the time, I recorded dashboard temperature each ten minutes.
- For the opposite half of the time, I recorded glove field temperature each ten minutes.
- Jen from Blue Bear Conscious supplied us with the instruments to precisely document the temperatures. Thanks Jen!
- I used this system to measure temperatures. It’s small and programmable, nice for monitoring treatment temp, although a bit techy.
- I paired off the 2-packs that initially got here collectively and clearly labeled them (A-a, B-b, and so on.)
- A via J had been on the sprint, Q via Z had been within the glove field.
- On the conclusion, I allowed the capital-letter-labeled Pens to return to room temperature earlier than firing them, and fired the lower-case-labeled Pens whereas nonetheless scorching.
- Expirations ranged from November 2013 to December 2017.
- Expirations had been evenly distributed between the sprint and glove field.
- I didn’t use any Pens that expired between April 2017 and October 2017. That was the time vary of Mylan’s recall (my final experiment concerned Pens that expired August 2017, which was in between recalled heaps.) I needed to verify this experiment was not impacted by Pens that ought to have been recalled however weren’t!
twosix weeks, we behaved like a one-car household so my automobile might completely prepare dinner EpiPens.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my dashboard was 195.four levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures on the dashboard often reached the 180s.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures within the glove field often reached the 120s.
When you discover this kind of content material useful (it’s difficult and time-consuming) please take into account supporting us on Patreon. Our Patrons actually do assist us maintain this kind of factor going!