Rate this post


This can be a little bit of area of interest publish so I will crosspost this to r/FoodAllergies as effectively. TL;DR at backside

Background information: I’ve by no means had an edible earlier than this. I (F 22) stay in Colorado so you already know, most individuals my age have. I am not tremendous into like weed tradition or no matter however I’ve smoked earlier than (from a joint, from a bong, and from a vape pen) and have not had any hostile reactions, however they have been few and much between. I do not smoke repeatedly. The boy I have been seeing thought it might be enjoyable to take edibles, so we deliberate to make dinner, get excessive, and go to an artwork gallery with a brand new exhibition with artwork individuals made whereas on medicine. We made shrimp pasta and about 20min earlier than consuming we every took a 10mg gummy (in all probability my first mistake). Later I appeared up some tips on edibles and it stated that first time customers ought to solely soak up between 0.5mg and 5mg, so.

Anyway, whereas we have been consuming I felt my throat closing up, however like not a lot that I could not breathe (however sufficient to make me lightheaded in about 30min time). I instructed my boy and he principally was like “don’t fret nobody has ever overdosed on marijuana.” Thanks boy, I do know that, and I additionally know somebody who’s allergic to marijuana.

I began feeling slightly dizzy/light-headed and I believe I related the dizziness with nausea as I went to the lavatory simply in case, however I by no means threw up and even had dry heaves. Nonetheless, all of the blood drained from my face (I’ve very naturally flushed cheeks and lips and I swear I used to be actually pale as a sheet). I believe at this level I had severely low blood stress, as I obtained extraordinarily dizzy even sitting up (neglect standing). I additionally felt extraordinarily chilled. I began having excessive tremors and shaking throughout my physique. My physique was consistently spasming over and over and over and it took excessive focus/effort to cease it even for a small period of time. My boy finally helped me transfer to the mattress the place I stayed, spasming, for a pair hours earlier than passing out for 12 hours. The following morning I awoke typically feeling like shit and had a horrible headache. I took a bathe after which went again to mattress till like 3pm.

Whereas I used to be having my response, I used to be intermittently wanting up signs for panic/nervousness assault signs (bc I do know marijuana may cause these) and different unhealthy reactions to marijuana, however it was very exhausting for me to pay attention. Later I appeared up signs for anaphylactic shock. Most individuals who acknowledged having an allergy to marijuana acknowledged stuff like hives, rash, runny nostril, sneezing, and many others, which clearly didn’t apply to my state of affairs. Most panic assault / nervousness assault descriptions talked about emotional signs I didn’t expertise. Emotionally, I felt effective the entire time. I wasn’t actually nervous or panicking, I used to be extra aggravated on the fixed shaking. Most symptom descriptions for anaphylactic shock additionally included pores and skin reactions and different issues that I didn’t expertise like vomit, diarrhea, and stomach ache. AND nowhere did I discover descriptors for the fixed shaking and tremors I used to be experiencing.

Given the circumstances, I believe it is affordable to conclude that both I used to be having a nasty response to marijuana, an allergic response to marijuana, OR an allergic response to the shrimp, nevertheless I’ve no historical past of a shellfish allergy. However as a blended race grownup lady I’m extra inclined than common (learn grownup white male) to creating allergic reactions later in life, so it is not unreasonable to assume it was an allergic response.

TL;DR By no means had edibles earlier than and never an everyday consumer, took a 10mg edible and had shrimp pasta, throat closed up, obtained extraordinarily dizzy, blood drained from face, obtained chills, obtained tremors and uncontrollable shaking, then handed out for 12hrs and awoke feeling shitty. Unhealthy response to edible or allergic response? Cannot inform