This recipe is inspired by a breakfast rice bowl known as Tamago Kake Gohan that we ate more than and more than once more through our trips to Japan. Its name translates to “egg rice,” and that is fundamentally what it is – a raw egg mixed into piping hot rice. Do not be scared – the hot rice cooks the egg as you stir it in. The outcome is the most creamy, scrumptious bowl of rice you have ever had. It is just about like risotto, but devoid of so a great deal of the stirring!
It is conventional to prime the eggy rice bowl with furikake and Japanese pickles… but of course I topped mine with a bunch of veggie toppings that you can quickly come across devoid of a trip to a specialty industry.
Even even though this rice bowl is generally eaten for breakfast, Jack and I like to consume it for dinner. Let’s make it!
Standard rice bowl components:
To make the base of the rice bowl, begin with brown rice, eggs, and a splash of tamari.
From there, the simplest way to prime the completed bowl is with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, scallions, and sliced nori. If you can not come across nori, just skip it!
To make this breakfast bowl extra of a dinner, I added roasted broccolini:
To make the eggy rice bowl:
1. Very first, make positive that your rice is freshly cooked and piping hot.
two. Crack the egg more than the hot rice.
three. Use chopsticks (or a spoon), to vigorously stir the egg into the rice till the egg becomes cooked and the rice becomes creamy.
four. Stir in a splash of tamari, for seasoning.
Best your rice bowl!
You can prime your rice bowl nonetheless you like, this is my fundamental formula:
- Standard Japanese toppings: scallions, sesame seeds, and nori
- A vegetable: roasted broccoli and a handful of micro greens
- A pickle: pickled ginger, due to the fact it is a lot easier to come across than other Japanese pickles
- Anything wealthy: I add sliced avocado to my bowl and an further egg yolk to Jack’s
- For further pop: I like to splash a small rice vinegar (or ume vinegar), but that is optional
And that is it! Serve with further tamari on the side.
If you have further roasted broccoli, save it for this broccoli quinoa salad. If you are searching for further makes use of for your nori sheets, make these nori wraps, or attempt homemade sushi – this shiitake maki recipe, or this mango avocado recipe!
Avocado & Egg Brown Rice Bowl
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Principal dish
- Smaller bunch broccoli or broccolini florets
- Added-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- two to three cups (pretty hot) cooked brown rice
- two eggs
- splashes of tamari
- 1 scallions, finely chopped
- avocado slices
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Location the broccoli florets on the sheet with drizzle with olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread onto the sheet. Roast till tender and browned about the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop the cooked brown rice amongst two bowls. When the rice is piping hot, add 1 egg per bowl along with splashes of tamari, and stir vigorously so that the egg gently cooks as it coats the rice, creating the rice a creamy consistency.
- Best every single bowl with the roasted broccoli, scallions, avocado slices, sesame seeds, and preferred further toppings (nori, pickled ginger, microgreens and/or an further egg yolk). I like to splash my bowl with a small rice wine vinegar or ume vinegar for further tang. Serve with tamari on the side, for seasoning.
Stovetop Brown Rice: Combine 1 cup rinsed brief grain brown rice in a pot with two cups water and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bring to a boil, cover, decrease the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Get rid of from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 extra minutes. Fluff with a fork.